Sunday, October 17, 2010

PE3_GarageBand part 3

Now that I finished all of the introductory videos, I can see that GarageBand is quite capable of producing professional audio tracks.  My first impression of GarageBand is that it would be a "kid toy" since it is part of the FREE iLife suite that comes with Apple OS X.

cert_banner

From the tutorials, I now see that this is much more than a "sound recorder" and am absolutely amazed that this application is actually free.  Whether using "software instruments" or "real instruments," GarageBand allows you to customize the sound with hundreds of effects.  Not being musically versed, I have stumbled through some of the terminology and still wonder how much of this will be needed as a pre-requisite for my first attempt at creating something.

After four and a half hours of videos, I was still feel as overwhelmed because of my lack of musical knowledge.  I was relieved to see that the loops that are available are quite extensive and each of these can be modified thousands of different ways.  While I do intend to take some guitar lessons at some point, I will have to rely on stock sounds for the moment to get my personal music knowledge up to snuff.

Another area that I would like to explore is the use of a midi device to create my own music which can be applied to a number of different instrument types.

No comments:

Post a Comment