Sunday, October 10, 2010

W2 Reading

As I continue finding sources for my Action Research Project, I am constantly modifying my search keywords to find relevant articles and research dealing with adult learners.  This week, I found several that apply to college students which may be the closest results that I may be able to find.

I did find Using Digital Video Assignments as a Tool for Active Learning to be very useful this week not only because of the content (even though it was focused at the collegiate level), it did reference numerous other resources where I intend to research.  The purpose of this study was to have students create videos based on what they are learning.  This "digital video and active learning" approach is similar to the projects that we have been assigned in the various EMDT courses.  While in the students were scattered with their opinions as to whether the assignments met their [the student] perceived objectives, it did show that over 90% of them were satisfied with the learning experience.

Another source that I found to be useful this week was one entitled "Shooting Web Training Video for Training".  As expected, this "guide" was packed full of great tips on how to create video to stimulate the viewer.  I particularly thought of Full Sail when the article mentioned that broadcasters avoid talking-head shots because the know that without interesting pictures, viewers will quickly "change channels".

In "Making training more cognitively effective:  Making videos interactive" the author understands that traditional lecture approaches often fail to link the subject to real life scenarios which hinders the cognitive learning process. He also comments that passively observing a video can be equally disengaging.  So instead of having a "static" video, he describes the development of an interactive video where learners are required to engage, participate and respond to prompts from the video.  While this has obvious benefits, the time and complexity of creating interactive videos may be a bit beyond the scope of my action research project.

Lastly, in the Enabling a comprehensive teaching strategy: Video lectures, the authors created a study whereby some students were given access to supplemental videos.  The supplemental videos were created to met the needs of the weaker students and repeated the course instructor's classroom instruction at a slower, more detailed pace.  The study showed that success in that there was a 71.9% reduction in failing grades for those students who had the videos available.

As I compile my research, there are many good points that can be taken from my readings.  I am hoping to keep my project simple but as I read more about the subject and the various studies that have been performed, my mind wonders to areas that are not quite feasible at this time. I do have to take a break to reflect whether the reading will enhance or distract my project.  With limited time between full time work responsibilities, family and coursework, I need to stay focused on the task at hand for the time being.  Enhancements to the action research may have to be used during a follow project.

No comments:

Post a Comment