Sunday, October 24, 2010

W4 Reading

This week, I continued reading articles which could benefit my Action Research Project. The first article was titled Interactive video tutorials for enhancing problem-solving, reasoning, and meta-cognitive skills of introductory physics students. The article outlined a study where physics students were given the opportunity to view video tutorials if needed. As expected, the majority of students who chose to view the tutorials could solve the physics problems more easily.

The second article I read this week was called Video Tutorials: A sustainable method for campus technology training. This article was of interest to me because the IT Help Desk is involved in the content of what video training is provided. Similar to my current work scenario, I plan to use this article to base my action research as well as the format for archival. The article was packed full of information from the IT setup perspective.

Next, the The Effectiveness of Video Tutorials for Teaching Preservice Educators to Use Assistive Technologies article me a completely different perspective as it was focused around the students with disabilities. While this article may not directly relate to my action research project, it was a worthy read so that if I were to expand my video tutorials in another direction or discipline, I would be able to design my tutorials to be compliant with the Technology Related Assistance Act of 1988.

Lastly, in the article titled YouTube As A Learning Tool, the author researched the perception of YouTube and how it could be used for teaching and learning. The study found that the students who created the video tutorials did it so that other students could learn from it. What had happened during the process was that the students who created the video also gained a better understanding of the subject they were trying to teach. Because the study actually resulted in two positive consequences, students from both ends of the project learned the subject area more thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment